January 21, 2008

Sonnet for Totally Optional Prompts

I found out about Totally Optional Prompts a few months ago, and I've even written a couple of poems based on the prompts, but this week will be the first one where I actually get around to posting something. Prompts are released on Saturday, and on Thursday the Call for Poems appears. This week's prompt was "sonnet," and so on Thursday I will be posting my take there. But here's an advanced posting.


The Design of Poetry

Does form follow function
or the other way around?
Design is a conjunction
of elements well-round
How is poetry designed
with such limited uses?
Why will we not be consigned
to engage with other muses?

To others we might seem engaged
in frivolous exercise -
in esoteric forms engaged -
but they do not realize
we write for ourselves alone
for our own souls are these words sown

9 comments:

paisley said...

i find beauty in writing for myself... but i also glean much satisfaction when i truly reach the heart of another human being as well.......

Tumblewords: said...

it is all about words and thoughts, I guess. Enjoyed this poem of yours and am particularly enamored with the final line.

gautami tripathy said...

sonnets have longer lines following iambic pentametres. i stick to the longer line bit. iambic pentametere, no!

I do like the thoughts in here.

love in a sonnet

SweetTalkingGuy said...

Hi, i like the first eight lines and I think they could work as a stand-alone poem.

Linda Jacobs said...

Even though this doesn't follow the traditional sonnet form, I still like how you expressed your feelings about writing poetry. Just this week, I shared a poem with my students called "Totem Sonnets" by Sherman Alexi and it's a series of 7 connected sonnets and each line is only one or two words long!

Tiel Aisha Ansari said...

Good reflections on the nature of poetry process. And a good first try at the form.

NB: Sonnets do not have to be iambic pentameter. They are _usually_ (not always) expected to have regular meter, but it can be any meter you like.

sbpoet said...

I think this might qualify as an Ars Poetica: Ars Poetica is a term meaning "The Art of Poetry" or "On the Nature of Poetry" -- an excellent beginning for a poetry blog.

~ SB @ Watermark

Annie said...

The last two lines are a profound reminder of why I write.

sister AE said...

I really like the opening question of this sonnet. Particularly pertinent given the prompt of using a form.

The structure of a sonnet does shape what I am able to say about a subject, so in some ways function does follow form there. Though I do hope to impose upon the form the reason for writing it in the first place!