February 2, 2008

Poem for ReadWritePoem

I just discovered ReadWritePoem this week, and I've written a poem on the current prompt, which is "clothing." I'm not totally satisfied with it, but I don't hate it. It needs more work, and verse isn't my strong suit, but it felt right. I'll probably revise it eventually, but right now my brain wants me to put it down for a few days.

(P.S. - I'm probably not going to have a poem for Totally Optional Prompts this week. It's just not working out. There's a difference for me with not being satisfied with a poem but willing to post it anyway, and truly disliking the work you've done.)

Simplified Weekends

Weekends dictated
by just four things
tea and pajamas
coffee and jeans.

Waking or writing
guided, it seems,
by denim or flannel
two kinds of caffeine.

Work means polyester,
makeup, and rings.
Water from coolers,
food in vending machines,

florescent lighting
unflattering beams.
Day job is practical
but won't fulfill dreams.

So to recover
from all weekly things:
tea and pajamas
coffee and jeans.

10 comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

I like this - its fun to read and comes back nicely to the beginning

gautami tripathy said...

tea, pajamas, coffee and jeans..how I truly relate to that.

susan said...

Good elements. Like the rhythm, concrete images easy to appreciate and speak beyond their visual. Like closing with the opening image.

UL said...

oh i loved this...very nice casual and formal, who doesnt prefer liadback and relaxed? :) thank you.

SweetTalkingGuy said...

Yeah, I like it, I like the way it rhymes, I can hear your 'voice' between my ears...

mariacristina said...

Sweet poem! Every working girl needs a copy at her cubicle. I really enjoyed it!

sister AE said...

I won't tell you how many Saturdays I've spent with "tea and pajamas"!

I really enjoyed this.

Linda Jacobs said...

I like the short no-nonsense lines. They fit so well with the tone. Cool poem!

Rob Kistner said...

Wow, this was fresh and fun... a great little read! ;)

...deb said...

I like the verse, too. And the cirling repetition of lines. (And the sentiment!)

Glad you found RWP, too!