April 6, 2008

Belated NaPoWriMo Day 5

I've had friends in from out of town this weekend, so not much time for writing or posting. Hopefully, I'll get caught up on poems by the end of today, as tomorrow night I head out to Austin for a job interview and a little fun as well. So here is "yesterday's" poem, and in theory I'll have today's up later tonight after I get some homework done. The poem was inspired by this week's ReadWritePoem challenge, which is "Aunt." Rather than writing about one of my relatives, I'm writing this about myself. I'm not an aunt (yet, and possibly never), but I'd like to be one. I use the poem to explore my lack of interest in being a mother, but still wanting to have ties to family.

Childfree
I never wanted a
soft, new, innocent
diapered midnight feeding
of my own

And I would gladly give my
healthy, superfluous ovaries
to an infertile woman
who has use for them

My maternal instinct is not
a deep commitment but
a short-term rental
varying based on context

My love works best
with distance
without dependence
mainly holidays and birthdays

My babies are my
puppies
my books
my career

I only have time
for so much creation
I can't focus
on infinite priorities

And I am content
in fact, fulfilled
to dwell in the margins
of extended family





7 comments:

k said...

Hi Allyson,

I love your Childfree poem. In fact, I'm writing a book called Kidfree & Lovin' It for the childfree, and would consider publishing that poem in my book (if you'd like.)

I have an online survey that almost 1,600 childfrees around the world have taken, and would love you (and any childfree friends you have) to take it too! The results and many of the quotes will be published in my book. You can remain anonymous if you like. Just click on this link to take you there:
http://tinyurl.com/2lcjah

Let me know if you'd be interested in having your poem published. Thanks,

Kidfree Kaye in California
www.kidfreeandlovinit.com
k@kidfreeandlovinit.com

Allyson said...

Hi K!

I checked out your website, and I'm about to take your survey now! I'm going to email you about publishing my poem as well. It's nice to find some more childfree people out there!

Linda Jacobs said...

Don't get me wrong; I love my kids but could totally see myself childless! I say do what feels right for you!

Excellent poem!

k said...

Thanks Allyson!

I hope you enjoy the survey, and get creative with it.

We are short on childfree Male comments (only 20%), so if there are any childfree men out there, we'd love you to take it:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=YqPg_2fDomn6zFs48b_2flPs2w_3d_3d

Thanks!
Kidfree Kaye
www.kidfreeandlovinit.com

paisley said...

bravo.. i do so wish more people like you who knew they had the maternal instinct of a snail would not reproduce... i was not that smart,, and have lived in the shadow of giving one child up for adoption at birth,, and the two others to their father during the divorce... oh how i wish i would have listened to my heart,, and not my ex-mother in law.......

gautami tripathy said...

I too am single, child free. However, I love my nephews and nieces to distraction!

wicked witch

...deb said...

Good take on the poem, interesting angle. Not everyone has children, and not everyone can be an aunt. (Ironically me - which I just realized reading your poem and thinking of my response! Freudian, or what!)

This is a good topic to explore. Good for you!