April 2, 2008

NaPoWriMo Day 2

Untitled
Her boyfriend decides that
they should have seven babies
within eight years
starting in 2011
when he is only twenty-four
and still in graduate school.

I try to reason with him
but only communicate in the
truncated, voiceless fragments
of text message.
And can only argue
"that's nearly a decade without a drink!"

Because dreams love to limit you
so you become too stupid to
realize you should call.
And with that stupidity comes
a loss of rhetorical grace
and beer becomes a better bargaining chip
than your friend's health or happiness.

As if waking hours did not
challenge us enough
our dreams want to keep us
in shape for the trials ahead.
In my dreams I give in
to my frustrations and
follow them blindly into morning.



3 comments:

jillypoet said...

This one is mysterious, kind of like a dream. Some great lines: "a loss of rhetorical grace," & especially "beer becomes a better bargaining chip."
I like the idea of dreams keeping us in shape for the trials ahead.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Nicely written, I feel sorry for your friend, her boyfriend has no right to demand that of her...

January said...

Very nice. I especially like this passage

"I try to reason with him
but only communicate in the
truncated, voiceless fragments
of text message."