April 4, 2008

NaPoWriMo Day 4

This is definitely not finished, but the best I'm going to get today. I decided I wanted to write a drinking song for my friends in my M.A. program, akin to this song from Kenyon College. I borrowed the song's rhyme scheme, and one day I'd like to set this to music. But I'm not thrilled with the words at this point; it doesn't accomplish what I want, although I can't really define what that is at the moment. I just know it's not there yet.

Song for the Fourth Floor

As we learned paleaography
Camaraderie was formed
And up on the fourth floor
Our feelings were warmed
Now with our two years ending
We're going separate ways
But have beer-filled memeories
for the rest of our days

Drink to methodology
Millay and good company
Drinking in unison
Dortmunder and Hoegaarden

Some now will leave for Ph.D.s
The whits will carry on
The rest scramble to find jobs
Let's savor what will soon be gone
We've suffered through our studies
Jacques Derrida and Freud
But together we have made it through
And now head into the future's void

Drink to methodology
Millay and good company
Drinking in unison
Dortmunder and Hoegaarden

No comments: