April 2, 2008

National Poetry Month: Darwinian Poetry

Today's link is a blast from the past. In my sophomore year of college (fall semester 2003), my mother forwarded me a link to Darwinian Poetry. Using a random word generator to create nonsensical jumbles, users select the jumble they like best. Non-selected "poems" die out while selected ones combine together and hopefully begin to make more sense. Playing with the site took up a lot of boring class time (my pre-calculus class met in the computer lab), but eventually I started taking more interesting classes, getting busy with homework and other activities, and I lost track of the site for a good 4 years. But in thinking about National Poetry Month, I got inspired to see if the site still existed and worked. And I'm rediscovering how fun it is.

2 comments:

Michelle Johnson said...

Thanks for stopping by Poefusion and signing up for the giveaway. I hope you will give some of the prompts a try as well this month.

Also, wanted to say that Darwinian Poetry site you linked to here is great. I have saved the link for future use. Thanks again for stopping by. Have a nice night.

Allyson said...

I definitely plan to give some of the Poefusion prompts a try. They look fun! I just read the "lune" prompt, and I definitely want to try it. I've never heard of that form before, and I love to experiment with new types of poetry.