April 16, 2008

National Poetry Month: Poetry Daily

Poetry Daily is an ever-expanding online anthology of contemporary poetry. A new poem is featured on the site every day. I have their poem-a-day in my RSS reader, which allows me to constantly discover new poets and keep up with current poems. You can also sign up for a free weekly newsletter to keep up with current poetry news.

As a (soon-to-be-defunct) academic, I feel that teachers place a lot of emphasis on the historical and ignore the contemporary. Now, of course there is value in teaching the classics, and knowing poetic history. However, I think it's also important to keep up with current writing trends and know more about current authors and publications. Poetry Daily is one of my favorite resources for contemporary poetry.

You can find out about supporting Poetry Daily here.

No comments: