April 3, 2008

National Poetry Month: Poets Against War

Well, only 3 days in and already I have a case of writer's block . . . nonetheless, here is my link of the day. Hopefully writing about poetry will give me some inspiration . . .

I'm sure many of you have at least heard of Poets Against War. The organization was born in 2003, in response to George W. Bush's invasion of Iraq. I heard about Poets Against War about a year after it was established. I was a sophomore at Kenyon College, taking a poetry workshop from the wonderful Jerry Harp. In the workshop, he told us about how he had published two poems ("Creature in a Time of War" and "The Creature Enraged") on the site. He didn't get too political about it, but wanted to show us the ways in which we could use our writing outside of the classroom. Admittedly, I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to it at that point. At Kenyon it was easy for me to avoid the news, politics, and just about anything that was happening outside of quiet Gambier, Ohio. But in the past five years, as I've started to pay more attention to what is happening in the world, I also started focusing more on activism through art. I'd like to submit something to Poets Against War when I'm ready to try publishing again (at least, outside of student publications). One of the reasons I felt frustrated before my hiatus was because I didn't feel like my work was actually doing anything other than just existing. Not that it's been easy to just jump into activist/political poetry now that I've started writing again. But one of my goals for this month is to do a political poem of some kind. Even if it's not publishable, I need to start working at it.

Click here if you're interested in donating to Poets Against War.

1 comment:

Crafty Green Poet said...

POets Against War is a great organisation, thanks for highlighting it