April 10, 2009

NaPoWriMo Day 10

Nursing Home
My grandma sits, a stranger in her chair
her mind has been erased, her body broken
(she still has the dark color of her hair)
remembers not a single word we've spoken.
She says she wants to leave, she wants to swim
(I swear she has her senses, they're just hidden)
my father wants to give in to her whim
but knows her greatest joy is now forbidden.

Will there come a year when my own mind
gives up, commences its own slow decline?
Perhaps before then researchers will find
a way to overcome my flawed design.
She's wheeled away, again forgetting me
I turn to leave, pondering what might be.

3 comments:

susan said...

Hi Dorla,
Saw a link to your work at PWB. I've been reading through.

Like to invite you to join us for a meme at Color Online, C.O.R.A. Diversity Roll Call.

Thanks for the read.

SweetTalkingGuy said...

Hi Dorla, enjoyed catching up on your NaPoWriMo work - good to see you're still at it after ten days. Thank you also for following my blogs and when I figure out how to do it I'll link back to you too.

I like the way you did The Nursing Home as a sonnet.

Dorla Moorehouse said...

Hi Susan -

Thanks for letting me know about the Roll Call!