April 7, 2009

NaPoWriMo Day 7

Asocial
I think perhaps I like the dinner best
the food distracts me from socialization
I've never been much taken with the rest

I have always been an awkward guest
approaching each event with trepidation
I think perhaps I like the dinner best

I much prefer the quiet of my nest
to bland yet overwhelming conversation
I've never been much taken with the rest

I never learned the art of getting dressed
for parties, each look gets consternation
I think perhaps I like the dinner best

No matter what, the host is looking stressed
causing me to speak with reservatino
I've never been much taken with the rest

Each even another trying quest
to end, to go home for relaxation
I think perhaps I like the dinner best
I've never been much taken with the rest

4 comments:

Chrissy said...

a villanelle! i haven't seen one of these in ages. i really enjoyed this.

Dorla Moorehouse said...

Thanks!

Wow, I posted this about 5 minutes ago, LOL.

I'm not entirely satisfied with it, but it's not that bad, and villanelles are tricky. They're my favorite form, though, and I try to write at least one a month to practice.

Mairi said...

Hi Dorla, I was impressed with your villanelle. I always like to see one as they're often a lot of fun. Unfortunately this one is timely for me. I have to go to a dinner party on Thursday and I'm already in a fret. Don't know all the people, no idea what to wear, rather stay home and write a poem. Your refrain lines capture my mood perfectly. Thanks for joining my site.

Mairi said...

P.S. Nice to see you over at the Plumbline School. They have some interesting discussions going on.