May 5, 2009

Confession Tuesday

It really bothers me when parents come into the bookstore, spend an hour reading to their kids from the children's section, and then not buy anything. I understand that books are expensive, but if you can't afford them, you can get them from the library and take them home. This is a small bookstore, and not every patron wants to hear you having story hour. Furthermore, we're not Barnes and Noble. We're an independent bookstore struggling to survive. It just seems rude to read our merchandise for free and not do anything to help support the store, not even buying a $2.00 bumper sticker. Yes, there are people who browse forever and never buy anything. But that, at least to me, seems different from reading three or four books aloud to your child.

I'm sure this comes across as unnecessarily harsh to parents, but it's just one of my pet peeves.

1 comment:

susan said...

Hi Dorla,
I didn't know you joined Confession Tuesday. I'll make it my business to show up from now on.

I hear you. Our libraries have great storytimes. I have very little discretionary money. Actually, I'm grateful that I'm making ends meet. Still, I do think parents need to be more creative and to support your store however they can. Buy something.

One of my dream careers is to own a bookstore. If I could eat and stay open, I'd do it.