May 18, 2009

Skin Magazine - Literally

A Swedish graphic designer has issued issue 3 of his zine on his leg. I wish I could get my hands on a copy of the large scale prints when they're released next month.

I love tattoos (I currently have 3 and plan to get more), and I'm fascinated by the blending of the impermanent medium of the zine with permanent body modification of tattoos. I think it's especially fascinating when you take into account that permanent body modification isn't completely permanent in the long run - eventually, the bodies we ink will no longer be around for public view. No matter what techniques we might use, nothing is permanent.

None of my tattoos are of my own design - I can't draw, for one thing. For another, I'm not really interested in having any of my own writing permanently inked onto my skin. Maybe someday I'll write something I always want to have on my body, but that has happened yet. The literary tattoo I currently have is this symbol from Mark Z. Danielewski's Only Revolutions. It's on the inside of my right ankle and was the first ink I ever received. (I also have the phrase "heretic pride" tattooed right between my shoulder blades and the polyamory symbol on the inside of my left wrist.) I'm actually thinking my next tattoo (which won't happen until 2010 because I just got the poly tattoo for my birthday and I'm limiting myself to one a year) might be a few lines from Mary Oliver or Walt Whitman. However, I'm still undecided as to where it might go. I don't want to overwhelm my back with text, but my left ankle might not be enough room. But I can think about it as long as I need to.

No comments: