June 9, 2009

Confession Tuesday

I'm really not sure what to do about my novel. It's been three weeks since I've worked on it, and I don't miss it.

I also received an especially discouraging rejection from a publisher who called it "awkward."

Today, I went and printed off another draft to mark up and revise, largely out of spite to the publisher. To show that I can make this novel not-awkward. However, I have yet to actually touch it. Partially, I don't want to read it again and realize they're right. Part of it is that I'm enjoying putting my creative energies towards other projects - a long story that's just shy of being a novella and two poetry chapbooks. Part of it is that I've been wondering all along if this novel was any good, and whether I should still bother.

So I'm at a crossroads. Sink or swim?

2 comments:

SalsaBilly said...

Swim.
What the hell does awkward mean? And to whom? If they felt moved enough to shoort a negative comment rather than a simple "does not meet our needs at this time", there must be something there.
Swim.

Dorla Moorehouse said...

Billy -

That's an interesting way to think about it. I guess it did hit a nerve somehow.

I haven't given up submitting. I do need to make a commitment to going back and revising. But at least I'm still sending out queries.