July 28, 2009

Confession Tuesday

I think I might be starting to come out of the funk that chased me through most of July. Yesterday I had the most productive writing day all month. Hopefully I can sustain that progress.

I confess that I have developed a weakness for Jodi Picoult novels. The part of my brain that for some reason never left grad school is nagging me about it. But her work is well-researched and her plots are compelling. Except I guessed the twist of A Change of Heart about 100 pages before it was revealed.

I made it into the dance teacher training program at my studio, and I qualified for work study, so I'm saving a LOT of money. Classes start August 19th. Hooray!

3 comments:

stu said...

Honestly, readers! You guess the twist 100 pages in, and it's too obvious. You guess it only when it shows up, and it's insufficiently foreshadowed. It's like writing for Goldilocks.

Writing would be a simpler affair if they did away with readers completely.

susan said...

Congratulations, Dorla.

Dorla Moorehouse said...

Stu -

Let me just state for the record that I have never complained about a twist I didn't guess until it was revealed. Assuming that one could look back through the rest of the story and realize that the twist was of course a logical outcome. I think it's a mark of quality fiction if you're left surprised.