August 25, 2009

Confession Tuesday

Two unrelated confessions today.

  1. I confess that one of my all-time biggest pet peeves is when people are chewing gum in dance class. Especially when they're not trying to hide the fact that they're chewing gum. It's a safety hazard and it's disrespectful. I wonder why teachers never say anything about it. I remember when I was a kid, we would always get reprimanded for having gum in class. Maybe it's because it's easier to make kids spit out their gum than it is to tell adults, many of whom are older than you, that they can't have gum in their class.
  2. I started drawing/coloring mandalas as a form of meditation and as a way to unblock my creativity. So far, I think they're working, and not just for my writing; I had a very productive dance session this morning. And even if they don't get my creativity going, they're a lot of fun, so I think I'll stick with them. Plus, they really are relaxing and meditative; I find them much more effective than sitting meditation. Whenever I need to sit completely still and clear my mind, I get way too fidgety. I can work on a mandala for a long time, though.

2 comments:

stu said...

I always get the feeling with sitting meditation that too many people are trying to "do" the meditation, if that makes any sense.

Dorla Moorehouse said...

Yeah, I understand what you're saying. I wonder if that is part of my problem, as well. Still, the mandalas seem to be working out great for me.