December 11, 2009

Year in review

It's not quite the end of 2009, but I'm in two dance performances before the 21st, and have a wedding to attend in Florida right after Christmas, so I'm going to be getting progressively busier as the month progresses, so I'm doing my year in review a bit early.

Works written: 15 pieces of erotica; 1 first draft of a novel; 1 novella; a few dozen poems; 1 book review; 1 encyclopedia article; 1 magazine article; 1 piece of flash fiction; a few essays

Works published: 4 pieces of erotica; 4 poems; 1 piece of flash fiction; 1 book review; 2 pieces of nonfiction accepted but pending publication

Major setbacks: Deciding that the novel I wrote in 2008 was never going to be fit for publication after months of work

Major accomplishments: Self-publishing a novella and working hard to promote it; publishing the first piece of erotica I ever wrote

Overall evaluation: Considering that I basically started my entire writing career over from scratch (I didn't touch any of the work I wrote before February 2009, with the exception of the novel I drafted in November 2008), I feel like this was a pretty good first year. Maybe I didn't get as many publishing acceptances as I'd like, but overall, this year went better than expected.

2 comments:

Leatherdykeuk said...

A pretty good year indeed, I would say.

stu said...

It's a good start, and these things pick up quickly.