January 29, 2010

Too hilarious not to share

So a bit of an embarrassing story, but I kind of have to share it anyway.

A few months ago, I submitted a piece of erotica to Lucrezia Magazine. I finally got a response last night. The editor said that despite the piece's "economic relevance," it wasn't right for the magazine. I was a little confused as to how an erotic story about ballroom dancers was at all economically relevant, but I was busy with other things at the moment and didn't have time to mull it over too much.

A little while later, I got another email from the editor, noting that the document I had sent did not match the piece I described in my cover letter. I checked the attachment and sure enough - I hadn't sent in my erotica at all - I had sent her my entry for the Real Simple essay contest.

Out of curiosity, I went and checked the email I had sent to Real Simple for the contest entry. And what was attached? Not the essay. But my ballroom erotica. I bet those editors were quite surprised when they read my entry . . .

Anyway, the Lucrezia editor invited me to resubmit the correct piece, which I did, with apologies and gratitude.

I could be annoyed with myself over this, but it's far too good a story. I can't help but laugh at myself.

Anyway, the editor invited me to resubmit the correct piece, which I promptly

5 comments:

Michael said...

Darla:

I must admit that I've screwed up some submissions before, but none with such an amusing ending.

Please let us know if you hear from the editors of "Real Simple".

Good luck with the second try. ;)

The Storialist said...

Oh, that is hilarious and wonderful.

Laughing at ourselves=important.

Kells said...

Michael had you linked b/c of this story. Hilarious! It sounds like something I'd do. I love it!

Geoffrey A. Landis said...

One time I got back a submission of a story with a comment from the editor "by the way, your technique of writing this one as a single very long paragraph was experimental, but didn't really work for me."
Oops. I'd ported the text over from a word processor file on my old computer to a different word processor on the new computer, and the paragraph breaks somehow got lost in the printer file (but not in the file on the screen!)
I shoulda looked at it after printing it...

公車 said...

笑口常開~~天天開心.........................