April 26, 2010

NaPoWriMo Day 25

Austin Villanelle

Although it doesn't fit me like a glove,
two years here, I think I'll call it home.
I doubt there's any place I'll truly love.

I love the sun that bakes me from above
the city makes me sweat, it makes me foam
although it doesn't fit me like a glove

There are other cities I've dreamed of
other countries that I'd like to roam.
I doubt there's any place I'll truly love.

Here I've found some peace, I've found a dove
I'll put down roots, settle in the loam
although it doesn't fit me like a glove.

Someday perhaps I'll get the urge and shove
away, off to Bombay or Rome.
I doubt there's any place I'll truly love.

I move through trees within the grove
and think of what the future might become
although it doesn't fit me like a glove,
I doubt there's any place I'll truly love.

1 comment:

SalsaBilly said...

Nice! You took some liberties with the form (grove, become) but I like ove connection and the varying meter caught me but I love the 1st and third lines and how the poem wraps itself around them. Thanks!