May 2, 2010

NaPoWriMo Reflection

As I did last year, I though it would be a good idea to sit down and evaluate my poetry attempts for the month of April.

1. Number of poems written in April.
30

2. Number of poems you’ll keep and revise.
Definitely five; maybe one or two others, but there are only five I feel strongly about at the moment.

3. List the titles of your top-three NaPoWriMo poems.
"Convalescence," "The Tongue is the Sweetest Meat," and "Associates" (although this last one is not the best written, but I had such a great time writing it that I have to list it here).

4. List your three least-favorite NaPoWriMo poems.
The untitled poem from Day 11, the untitled poem from Day 15, and the untitled poem from Day 19.

5. Favorite line from one of your NaPoWriMo poems.
"I deplete you / in the name of my love-famine" from "The Tongue is the Sweetest Meat."

6. Notice any patterns?
I wrote a lot of haiku this year, something I did on really busy days when I felt too pressed for time. I wrote a lot more about personal experience, about romantic relationships, and the intersection of love, trust, and faith.


7. What surprised you most about writing a poem a day?
How much harder it was than last year. I'm working more, dealing with a bad car accident, and just generally more stressed out. All these things affected my creativity.

8. Now that you have momentum, what’s next?
I hate to say this, but . . . neglect poetry. Because I'm doing Story a Day in May! I am going to attempt to submit poems somewhere, but fiction will be the focus of the current month.

No comments: