May 31, 2010

Story a Day Wrap-Up

I came so close to giving up. I had a few days of severe writer's block, a hectic schedule, a dance competition, and yesterday I was four days behind and thinking I'd just quit. But then I sat down and churned out 4 stories in about 8 hours. 2 of them were awful, 2 of them have potential. And then today I wrote my 31st story. I am so glad I didn't give up, that I didn't let a couple of rough days do me in.

So now I'm left with some bad stories, some good stories, and some that aren't good yet but have potential. I'm really pleased with myself. I have a lot of new material to revise and submit - it's hard to keep track of it all! I let my organizational system slide a little this month, and I need to get it back on track.

I learned that, while sometimes you really are blocked and can't write, sometimes if you sit down and force something on to paper, you'll have a great idea you wouldn't have come up with otherwise. I was still feeling pretty blocked yesterday afternoon. But I made myself sit down and write, and while the first 2 stories were terrible, they got my brain warmed up and I ended up with 2 other really good ideas - and I'm not sure I'd ever have had those ideas if I hadn't sat down and just forced myself to keep going.

My new goal is to stop worrying so much about whether or not I feel inspired enough to write, and just write. It doesn't matter. If I'm truly blocked, I can have a day off, but I'm starting to distinguish the difference between blocked and uninspired. I need to hone my ability to tell the difference a little more, and then be sure to write on the days my mind is open but lacking in a new idea. If I push myself, something will come.

I did poem-a-day in April, went right into story-a-dI came so close to giving up. I had a few days of severe writer's block, a hectic schedule, a dance competition, and yesterday I was four days behind and thinking I'd just quit. But then I sat down and churned out 4 stories in about 8 hours. 2 of them were awful, 2 of them have potential. And then today I wrote my 31st story. I am so glad I didn't give up, that I didn't let a couple of rough days do me in.

So now I'm left with some bad stories, some good stories, and some that aren't good yet but have potential. I'm really pleased with myself. I have a lot of new material to revise and submit - it's hard to keep track of it all! I let my organizational system slide a little this month, and I need to get it back on track.

I learned that, while sometimes you really are blocked and can't write, sometimes if you sit down and force something on to paper, you'll have a great idea you wouldn't have come up with otherwise. I was still feeling pretty blocked yesterday afternoon. But I made myself sit down and write, and while the first 2 stories were terrible, they got my brain warmed up and I ended up with 2 other really good ideas - and I'm not sure I'd ever have had those ideas if I hadn't sat down and just forced myself to keep going.

My new goal is to stop worrying so much about whether or not I feel inspired enough to write, and just write. It doesn't matter. If I'm truly blocked, I can have a day off, but I'm starting to distinguish the difference between blocked and uninspired. I need to hone my ability to tell the difference a little more, and then be sure to write on the days my mind is open but lacking in a new idea. If I push myself, something will come.

I did poem-a-day in April, went right into story-a-day in May, and had been anticipating time off from frenzied challenges - but then I heard about 100 Drabbles of Summer. A drabble is a story of exactly 100 words, and the challenge is to write 1 a day between Memorial Day (today) and Labor Day. I can't ever back down from a challenge, it seems, so that's what I'm doing. Not sure if I'll be posting these drabbles on my blog, but I'll think about it. So that's what's next for me - in addition to revising and submitting all the work I created in May.

This was a fantastic challenge and I look forward to doing it again next year!ay in May, and had been anticipating time off from frenzied challenges - but then I heard about 100 Drabbles of Summer. A drabble is a story of exactly 100 words, and the challenge is to write 1 a day between Memorial Day (today) and Labor Day. I can't ever back down from a challenge, it seems, so that's what I'm doing. Not sure if I'll be posting these drabbles on my blog, but I'll think about it. So that's what's next for me - in addition to revising and submitting all the work I created in May.

This was a fantastic challenge and I look forward to doing it again next year!

No comments: