July 4, 2010

Sunday Pleasures: Holiday Weekend Edition

Though I didn't go there this weekend, I have to give a shout-out to Spider House, where I had a date with my writing buddy on Thursday night. I didn't actually write much, but I did got on a submitting spree, which has yielded some good news already (look for some of my flash fiction in The Erotic Woman in the near future!). Spider House has a fantastic atmosphere and a pretty crazy music mix - and plenty of mojitos to keep me writing for hours (if only because I need to stay and write until I sober up).

On Friday I made Guinness-Anise bread from Dough: Simple Contemporary Breads. It's one of the best breads I have ever tasted. I have this book on loan from the library, but I think I'm going to need to buy it - this book is full of fantastic recipes and I know I will use it over and over.

I'm also reading Fine Just The Way It Is: Wyoming Stories 3 by Annie Proulx. This is actually the first time I have read any of her work, and I love it. I will definitely be seeking out more the next time I visit the library.

Last night I needed some retail therapy, so went over to Half Price Books and got myself some books on Buddhism, plus some new erotica.

It's been a rough week and I needed some junk food, so for dinner last night my husband and I went to Phil's Ice House for dinner. Phil's is a burger place, and what I love about it is that they don't just have one veggie burger option to pander to vegetarians. You can get ANY of their burgers with a veggie patty - and it's a tasty veggie patty, too. Of course, some of the burgers are still off-limits because they include bacon, but I really appreciate that I have more than one option with Phil's.

I've been tearing through the first season of Fringe like a madwoman. As a die-hard X-Files fan, this show satisfies my love for paranormal crimes. Olivia Dunham is no Dana Scully, but she's nonetheless a fantastic character, and I really love the creepiness of this show.

And to celebrate the 4th of July, I'll be attending a party where we're going to watch and mock The Postman. I have not seen this film, but I have heard that it is epically cheesy, and I look forward to snarking at it all afternoon.

No comments: