September 21, 2010

Confession Tuesday

I confess that so far, a three-times-a-week updating schedule is not something I'm even coming close to sticking to at this point. But I also realize that I can't just be annoyed with myself for not keeping up with the near-daily blogging I was doing for four or five months. My writing is in a slightly different place right now. I'm retreating a bit, not trying to constantly create new stuff, focusing on research, reflection, and planning. I don't have a lot to blog about because I don't want to make my ideas public while they're still no new. I also realized that last year, my blogging took a nosedive in the second half of the year and didn't pick up again until April. I think this is just part of a cycle I need to go through.

I confess that I'm embarking on yet another project, an anthology this time, with Round Rock author Reesa Brown. No details just yet, but this is going to be a book that really pushes some boundaries (in a good way). I'll release more once we get past the initial planning stages, but once again, we don't want to put something into the world that's so new. Anyway, we're outlining submission guidelines for entries, creating a query for publishers, and researching those publishers. My goal is to have 15 large publishers and 15 small publishers by the end of the week that look like good starting points. It's so much easier to find potential small presses than large ones, especially because we're going at this without an agent, and many large houses restrict themselves to people with agents. I've found 7 large companies, and I really feel like I've hit the end, but I'm sure there are more out there. Just need to keep digging . . .

I confess I have severe writer's block for the next round of Smut Marathon. I have an idea, I have a loose outline . . . and I can't write. I just can't write. Like I said, my brain is in "planning" mode rather than "creating" mode. But sometimes, you just have to make it work. My piece will be done by the deadline. I'll get there. I just have to be patient with myself. Unless it's Friday and I'm not done. Then no more patience.

No comments: