October 10, 2010

Sunday Pleasures

Glad I have this meme to cheer me up. I just got some really frustrating career-related news that I can't really talk about here. Let's just say that I am frustrated. And that it's partially my own fault. And I hope I can figure out a way to fix it. And it's time to go over some pleasureful things to take my mind off of it for a bit.

I got to see The Mountain Goats on Friday! They played at the Austin City Limits Music Festival, and the set was fantastic. John Darnielle was as charismatic as ever, and they played "Going to Georgia" (a song they rarely do live anymore), "No Children," and a ton of my favorites, most of them from We Shall All Be Healed. And they closed on "Houseguest," which is the song they closed on when I first saw them live in 2008. I was at their tent 2.5 hours early, to ensure I was right up front, and it was worth the wait. The rest of ACl I kind of hated. It was crowded, the people at the Black Keys set were just rude, and we left soon after. But all that matters is that I got to see my all-time favorite band, rock out, and sing along.

Yesterday was a day for cheesemaking! After going to brunch, my sister accompanied me to Austin Homebrew Supply, which, in addition to having supplies for making your own beer and wine, they have the requisite stuff for amateur cheesemaking. I'm making a Parmesan for the first time, using instructions from Home Cheese Making: Recipes for 75 Delicious Cheeses. Currently, the cheese is sitting in a brine bath until tomorrow, at which point I will wrap it and let it age for 10 months before I have a chance to taste it. Hard cheeses are truly an exercise in patience.

And last night, my husband and I saw Buried. It's intense, emotional, claustrophobic, and exhausting, and I loved it. I'm glad I ordered that second glass of wine, and left the theater needing a hug, but it really is a fantastic film.

No comments: