October 24, 2010

This is just wrong

Amazon.com has a new iPhone app available. Phone users can go to a bookstore, use the app to scan the book's bar code, and then order the book directly from Amazon on the spot.

Over the past couple of years, Amazon.com has been making business decisions that I consider questionable a best. But I can't get behind this one, because in my mind, Amazon.com is expressing the attitude that regular bookstores should serve as free showrooms for Amazon.com.

Of course, a potential customer can browse a bookstore, then go home and order the book from Amazon.com later anyway. Nobody can prevent that. But I think it's pretty skeevy of Amazon.com to facilitate that. This is just one of those things that sets me off as being definitively not-okay, and makes me really want to consider the extent to which I want to consider patronizing Amazon.com (not that I do so that frequently, and never for books, but perhaps I shouldn't be giving them my money at all).

1 comment:

Hannah Stephenson said...

I hear you on this. It turns the world into a supermarket, kind of.