November 2, 2010

NaNoWriMo Day 1

I closed out Day 1 of NaNoWriMo with 6,830 words. Not as epic as 2009, where I hit 10k on the first day, but certainly a strong performance putting me several days ahead of schedule. Which is good, because my weekend is not looking conducive to writing.

Things are going better than I hoped, considering my dead netbook is still at the computer shop undergoing data extraction, and I probably won't have it until the end of the week. The problem with this is that while I was pretty diligent about backing up all of my NaNo prep work, for whatever reason, I never backed up my outline. Not once. My only copy was on my netbook. I don't know why I never bothered backing it up, but whatever. It happens. I'll have it back soon, and at the moment, I seem to be writing just fine without it. I will need it eventually, but at the moment things seem to be going okay. Perhaps I want it more as a security blanket than anything else.

Of course there are nagging thoughts about my abilities as a writer, but those come with any project. I can already tell I am doing better as a novelist than I was last year. Maybe this will be the year I write a truly strong, publishable novel. And if not, that's okay too. Practice makes perfect. I can see I'm improving. Someday I'll get there.

Already did some Day 2 writing and I'm up to 8,577 words. I would love to get up to 10k today, but even if I don't, that's fine. I'm still doing really well.

1 comment:

Hannah Stephenson said...

Rock on! Sounds like it's going great so far.