December 30, 2010

Year in Review

2010 was a difficult year for me on a personal and emotional level. A car accident, a breakup, and writer's block in the wake of both upheavals threatened my year professionally. But overall, I did quite well for myself in 2010. So here's a summary of my writing life.

  • I didn't do a very good job of keeping track of just how many pieces I submitted this year. However, I do know that I got 16 acceptances this year, mostly erotic fiction, but also one piece of nonfiction and one piece of poetry.
  • Of those 16 acceptances, 13 were published in 2010, and the remaining three will appear early in the New Year.
  • I made my first appearances in anthologies. Up till this point, I'd only gotten published on web sites. Now I'm in some e-books!
  • I didn't make anything resembling a living wage when it came to my creative endeavors, but I still made more money from my writing this year than I have at any other year in my life.
  • I made it through the first eight rounds of Smut Marathon, putting me in the top 5 competitors - and we started with 17! Look for round 9 early in the New Year!
  • I completed a novella and submitted it to a publisher.
  • I took an erotic writing course with Shanna Germain, which really helped me refine my craft.
  • I joined a writing group, which has been tough, humbling, motivating, and inspiring. 
So all in all, despite a number of setbacks, it was a fantastic year for me professionally. Certainly an improvement on last year, and last year was not too shabby at all. My hope is that 2011 is even better!

No comments: