January 9, 2011

Poetry Exercise

Caveat: This is an exercise. It's a response to Elizabeth Bishop's "One Art" that uses the same form and borrows many of the same words. I did it for both poetic and personal reasons, and it was immensely helpful in both regards. Normally, I don't like to post exercises, especially rough ones, but I feel compelled to do so this time around. I feel the need to put this one out there.

Lost Art
I thought that loss would be easier to master
Especially when it wasn't my intent
But it seems I just create disaster

It's been five months; no day regains its luster
I wonder where my optimism went
I thought that loss would be easier to master

They're all surprised I don't recover faster
That I let me sorrow be so evident
That I let myself create disaster

And every time I try to make a gesture
Of forgiveness, it only sparks dissent -
I thought that loss would be easier to master

But the pain, it seems, only grows vaster
And it seems more energy is spent
On creating (or trying to clean up after) disaster

Recovery is sealed away in plaster -
But in my weakness, feels hard as cement -
I thought that loss would be easier to master
But it seems I just create disaster

No comments: