February 15, 2011

Confession Tuesday

I confess that I feel horribly behind on life. I don't remember I put serious effort into my novel. I have a mountain of short stories building up. And life just sort of keeps interfering. The West Texas road trip was the start of me getting behind schedule (though I don't regret a thing). The day after I got back, I got sick, and spent the entire day unable to do much more than watch TV or read. Then there was just one day until the weekend, which involved more social events than usual. Plus I've picked up two new tutoring clients. I'm not going to bemoan the presence of new clients in my life, because I can fit them into my schedule and I need the money, but I'm nonetheless frustrated by the fact that I have a deadline for the first draft of my novel (April 11th) and I'm worried that I'm not going to meet it, plus the fact that my output has been lower than usual. After several weeks of not seeing any calls for submissions that piqued my interest, I'm now seeing two or three a day. I know there's no way I could meet them all even if I had all the time in the world, so I shouldn't be frustrated, but it doesn't help.

I confess that I know that the problem of feeling behind and overwhelmed is not a new one, and it will pass. It helps to air it anyway.

I confess that I crashed at 9:30 pm last night and slept for 10 hours and in fact am feeling much more optimistic about all this, so hopefully my creative life will turn around soon.

No comments: