February 3, 2011

Killing the Sacred Cows of Publishing

I'm currently making my way (slowly) through Killing the Sacred Cows of Publishing, a series that Dean Wesley Smith created for his blog. In this series, Smith deconstructs major myths about writing and publishing that hold writers back or cause them to make bad business decisions. It has been an eye-opening experience and even though I'm less than halfway through, has already taught me a lot.

So far, the articles that have been most helpful are "Writing is Hard" and "Can't Make Money In Fiction." While the articles on agents, editors, and publishers have given me the most information that I didn't have before, these two pieces, about the writing progress and making money, have given me more in terms of motivation. I've realized just how much myths about how difficult writing should be and how little I can expect to make are holding me back. I don't expect instant turnaround success now that I've finished these pieces, but they've taught me more about what I should expect from myself.

Dean Wesley Smith won't teach you about style or grammar in this series. It's not one of those fluffy writing guides. And yet I'm learning a lot, and I think once it's done, I will emerge a better writer.

1 comment:

Hannah Stephenson said...

Thanks for sharing this--seems very interesting!